David Mathison has been invited back to the United Nations to speak at a Department of Public Information (DPI) Senior Management Retreat.
In December 2009, Mathison opened his previous visit to the UN with a presentation titled, "Social Media and the UN - Engaging the Public."
This time, Mathison's opening speech suggests that citizen media may fulfill the promise of Article 19 of the Declaration of Human Rights:
"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference, and to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."
included Mr. Kiyo Akasaka, Under-Secretary-General for Communications
and Public Information, as well as Chiefs and Directors from the
- Office of the Under-Secretary-General
- Strategic Communications Division
- News and Media Division
- Outreach Division
- The Changing Media Landscape David Mathison: Be The Media
- Social Media in the Developed World Alan Levy: Blog Talk Radio
- Implementing Social Media and Creating Buzz by Soraya Darabi: Product Lead, Drop.io; oversees PressLift (former Manager of Digital Partnerships and Social Media Marketing for the New York Times)
- Social Media in the Developing World by Merrick Schaefer: Technical Project Manager, UNICEF Innovation Unit
- Measuring the Impact of Social Media by Johna Burke: Senior Vice President, BurrellesLuce
- Economics, Security, and Brand Integrity by Johnny Mone, Senior Vice president, Vamosa, Inc.
- Strategic Integration of Social Media by Professor Sree Sreenivasan, Dean of Academic Affairs at the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism
Afterwards, the speakers were treated to a VIP tour of the UN.